Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hospital Visit/Field Trip

Last Tuesday, Kari had to have a spinal, chemo, and also start a round of steroids.  All three of which are not fun but Kari usually does pretty well with it. 

HOWEVER.  It seems like on the days that I think we will breeze in and out of clinic and go about our merry way, we end up having a doozy.  That's exactly what we had last Tuesday and the 5 days following. 


Normally, Kari wakes up from her spinal, eats a snack, and then we go party at the mall.  During this particular spinal, they had to suction her nose and mouth which meant she didn't lay flat after the procedure.  They have never had to do this before and I'm still a little confused as to why they had to this time.  They explained why but it doesn't make sense that this was the first time she would have had to have it done in all the 50 times she's had a spinal.  Also, suctioning down her throat meant she had a terrible sore throat when she woke up and couldn't swallow.  On top of all that, her counts were so low that we were going home pretty much on house arrest. 

Long story short, Kari ended up with a spinal headache and severe sore throat.  The pain so severe that all she could do was lay in bed and try to drink hot tea.  By Sunday morning, we headed to the hospital for fluids and some stronger pain meds.  I think I've mentioned before that Kari loves going to the hospital.  The nurses love her and they give her all kinds of special attention.  I'll have to say, they do make it much easier to be there. 

Monday afternoon, Kari was up dancing with the clown and doing tricks and telling jokes.  Her doctor took one look at her and decided she could go home, especially after confirming that her counts recovered 1400 points in 7 days!  I know that God moved for Kari and I appreciate all of the prayers that were offered up for us during the last week! 


After being confined to the walls of our house all last week and being in the hospital, we decided to take a break and visit Memaw's house for a few days.  It has been a much needed and refreshing break!  We even met up with the homeschool group today and had so much fun with them!


Speaking of homeschooling, it's going terrific!  We've definitely had our moments, but altogether, the kids are doing great and I'm even liking it!  Ha! Who knew? (Heather and Sarah...I know you're saying "I told you so" right now. LOL)


Remember, the walk is September 22nd!  We would love to have you join us.  If you need more information, please email me at kariandmalachi@live.com.  Thank you for your prayers and support!  We love you!

3 comments:

  1. HA, I get to be the first to leave a comment!! :) I'm very, very glad that you guys came to visit at Memaw's house, cuz I got to visit with you too!! :) I was about to go thru withdrawals--I hadn't seen you fellers in about 3 weeks or longer!! Glad Kari had a "sneaky plan" to come n visit....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kari
    My name is Jenna. You are a brave courageous fighter, You are a special miracle from god, a gift from above, earthly angel, a smilen hero. You are full of happiness, life, smiles, joy, fun,love, and spunk.

    I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and have 14 other medical conditions, and developmental delays.

    I wrote this poem
    Each of us are Special
    Each of us different,
    No one is the same
    Each of are us are unique in our own way,
    Those of us who have challenges, we smile through our day.
    Those who of us who have challenges, we smile through our day.
    It doesn't matter what others say
    we are special anyway.
    What is forty feet and sings? the school chior
    http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love the pictures! We always enjoy Levi. Thinking about you guys during Kari's yucky days! Love you much!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love hearing from you!