Thursday, April 22, 2010

Take Heart!

Last night we (me, Chris, Lacey, David, Karen, Kari and Malachi) planted the garden. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I have never planted a garden before. The only thing I've ever been able to keep alive are petunias because you can hardly kill those. As I was putting corn and beans in the ground last night I prayed that the Lord would bless and multiply our little garden because usually most seeds that I touch decide to sit in the ground and remain seeds the rest of their lives because they don't like me. Not sure why.
We planted potatoes, onions, corn, beans, zucchini, squash, pumpkins, 3 different kinds of tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, cabbage....I may be forgetting some stuff. But this is going to be a really neat experience for us I hope. If the seeds will just be nice to me this once, maybe I'll learn a few things about gardening and taking care of plants and such and by next year be ready to roll with my very own garden! Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of us planting the garden. I'm slacking. But it was a lot of fun. Kari really enjoyed it as did Malachi although he kept trying to eat the seeds and dirt.

It also got me to thinking about "the old days." I made the comment last night that I wish life would go back to the old days where we had big gardens to take care of and women got to stay home with their kids and things were more simple. With a few modern conveniences of course. Like running water, washing machines and dryers, electricity and restaurants. And malls. And cars. And computers. And phones. That should be about it.
I guess the main point I wanted to make is that women stayed at home back then!! I was reading Jess's blog and feeling the heart break (is that supposed to be one word or two?) of having to leave your baby with someone else while you go to work. It's been on my mind the last week or two a lot. Kari says almost every morning on our way to Gammy's house "mommy, do you have to go to work today?" With my reply of "yes, honey, I do" she says "well, I hate it." This brings tears to my eyes, friends. Little Malachi cries after me and tries to follow me when I walk out the door. I hate this. Although it is easier than that first month of leaving Kari, it still hurts when you know your babies want to be at home with Mommy and can't be. :(
So, to all you mothers that can stay home with your kids please remember to be so thankful for that!! It's a gift from God. For those of us that still have to leave our babies every morning, let's take heart!! Maybe God has something in the making for us too. :)


By the way, has anyone noticed all the little changes I'm doing to my blog? This excites me and Jess even showed me how to add little things on the side and stuff. She's also going to add pictures on the little squares on the header. There's no telling what will be on here next.

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, I've never planted a garden either! I hope yours does great! You'll definitely have to take pictures of that... I love garden pictures! I try to take pictures of Chad's Papaw's garden every year because he plants it right behind our trailer. The blog is looking awesome, by the way! I've yet to figure out how to make mine beautiful! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope ya'lls graden turns out good. I really have no desire to plant a garden. It's just as easy to go to Walmart and buy it. I know, that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog looks GREAT!!! I love the new look.
    Hope the garden grows wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love hearing from you!